Become the best host on the block with a well-appointed al fresco entertaining area. While there are many things to prepare when hosting a party, one key element is proper lighting. Setting up outdoor string lights serves both practical and aesthetic purposes. When done correctly, patio outdoor lights not only help set the tone for your celebration but also ensure your guests can see and enjoy the whole experience. Know where and how to maximize lighting for your next gathering with these outdoor patio lighting ideas.
Light the Way to the Venue
Establish the mood right when your guests arrive at home, while also safely guiding them where they need to go.
- Pathway Lights – Line walkways leading to your patio or al fresco entertaining area with stake lights that illuminate the way.
- String Lights – If you have a tree-lined path or shrubbery flanking the way to your patio or backyard, consider putting up LED string lights to provide ambient light as guests enter.
Hang Outdoor Lights Around the Patio
Review the landscape and layout of your patio and identify how you can best illuminate the whole area from overhead, as hanging patio lights will serve as your main source of light and cast a warm glow over the proceedings.
- Cascading String Lights – Hang string lights in columns from tree branches or high beams to create a stunning patio backdrop. These are the ideal outdoor tree lights for summer.
- Festoon Lights – Festoon string lights are meant to hang diagonally across space, so take advantage of tall trees bordering your patio or high ceiling beams if you have a roofed area to create festive overhead lighting.
- Decorative Light Fixtures – Hang decorative patio lights that come in interesting shapes, such as orbs. These double as accent pieces that amplify your outdoor décor.
Use Standing Lights and Lanterns
Patio lights aren’t only limited to those that are hanging. Apart from ceiling and string lights, make sure to set up a few standing lights as well. Incorporating these will help create a balanced, well-lit space.
- Lanterns With Fairy Lights – Lanterns are versatile outdoor décor pieces that add a beautiful rustic touch to your patio. They also create a cosy atmosphere with their soft glow.
- Decorative Lights – Cluster groups of decorative lights in key spots like steps and pocket seating areas to provide mood lighting.
Set the Table With Candles
Lastly, don’t forget to polish your table décor with candles to complete your celebrations lighting setup. Not only do these create a warm and cosy ambience, but they also serve as an additional light source—perfect for photos of and around the table. Choose battery-operated LED candles to help set the mood without the risk of an open flame.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about outdoor party lights.
What Type of Lighting Is Best for Outdoors?
This depends on the specific area you intend to light. Survey the spot and consider how bright it needs to be and the available power sources. Your options include overhead lighting with string lights or pendant lights, spot lighting with standing lamps, or a combination of both. Whatever you decide, check if the lights are marked as outdoor-safe. These are specially designed and tested to withstand exposure to the elements.
What Colour Should Outdoor Lights Be?
Warm white bulbs cast a cosy and welcoming glow perfect for evening gatherings. You can also experiment with coloured bulbs for a more festive vibe. For versatility, try colour-changing light strings that allow you to switch across various options.
Are Outdoor String Lights Waterproof?
Outdoor lights have been crafted and tested to be waterproof and even weatherproof to a certain degree. Check the product specifications carefully when selecting your lights.
Now that you’ve taken care of the outdoor lights on and around the patio, you’re sure to have a night that you and your guests will always remember. Click the button below to see our full selection of outdoor lighting options.