It’s a remarkable sight when your Christmas tree, baubles, and lights come together, but coordinating your design can take some effort. Here’s a guide to help you choose between white or coloured Christmas lights for your tree and what type of decorations work best with each.
White Lights for Christmas Trees
White Christmas lights are well-loved for their warm, candle-like glow. Their neutral colour looks elegant on its own and versatile enough to match any Christmas light theme. Whether you want to decorate with a single-hue palette or a colourful design, here are some unique clear Christmas lights ideas:
- Add Lights – String your lights or plug your pre-lit tree into a nearby power outlet. Check for damaged bulbs or faulty wiring and replace them following the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Hang Tree Décor – Metallic baubles go well with white Christmas lights as they give a subtle sparkle when they catch the light. You can also opt for a simpler look with classic baubles, ribbons, and a topper in monochromatic shades.
- Customize – You can also add do-it-yourself decorations such as cranberry garlands and hand-cut paper snowflakes to your tree for a personal touch. Other options are small trinkets from your travels or small photographs of you and your loved ones.
Coloured Christmas Lights
Coloured Christmas lights give your tree a festive appearance with minimal effort. Below is a step-by-step guide to a Christmas tree decorating idea with coloured lights:
- Choose Base Colours – Pick three to four base colours for your design. Even better if some of your Christmas tree decorations complement the light colours. Try going for a bright candy-themed tree, rainbow tree, or a classic red-and-green theme with a twist. Plenty of designs work well with multicoloured lights, so don’t be afraid to get creative and express yourself.
- Hang Baubles – After choosing your colour palette, mix and match your bauble sets. Combine pieces with different shapes, sizes, materials, and textures for visual interest.
- Check Your Design – Take a step back and look at your decorated Christmas tree. Remove some baubles if it seems overcrowded or swap some pieces for other colours to balance out the theme.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below we answer more of your questions on decorating with white and multicoloured lights.
How Do You Decorate a Christmas Tree With Coloured Lights?
Check the lights for any faulty bulbs and replace them before decorating your Christmas tree. Pick a colour palette, then start hanging baubles. Begin at the base, then work your way up, evenly spacing the decorations around the tree. Vary the colours throughout the tree for a balanced yet festive display.
What Baubles Look Good With Coloured Lights?
When it comes to the best baubles for multicoloured lights, you can opt for glass baubles or metallic baubles so they can reflect the lights from your tree. You can also consider decorations in contrasting colours for a striking visual impact.
Can You Mix White and Coloured Lights Outdoors?
You can mix white and coloured Christmas lights to add depth and dimension to your outdoor decorations. Use clear lights to outline architectural features or highlight specific areas, then incorporate multicoloured lights in trees, bushes, or other outdoor elements for a playful touch. Make sure that the lights are safe for outdoor use before decorating exterior spaces.
Let your creativity shine as you decorate with coloured or white lights on Christmas trees. Browse the rest of our selection to create a dazzling display this season.