Your home décor plays an important role in creating spaces of comfort and beauty that you can enjoy. Each seasonal change presents an opportunity to refresh your decorations using baubles and trimmings that fit the time of year.
Wondering how and when to update your décor? Here are quick home decorating ideas to try for each season.
How to Transition Your Home Décor as the Seasons Change
From Winter To Spring
Want to know when to pack up your winter décor? March is a good time to welcome the season of new beginnings with changes in your decorations.
Try these easy switches to bring spring into your home:
- Pastel hues are great for spring décor. Use pieces in shades of baby blue, light peach, or lavender.
- Trade sheets, rugs, throw pillows, and curtains in heavy materials like wool for lightweight fabrics such as cotton or linen.
- Brighten up your space with greenery like wreaths, garlands, swags, and potted foliage. For long-lasting pieces that look fresh all year round, opt for .
- Don’t forget your outdoor area—create a spring wreath by dressing up your undecorated greenery with baubles in spring colours or blooms like tulips, violets, and freesia.
From Spring to Summer
When is the time to transition your home décor from spring to summer? Bring touches of the sunny season into your living space as the weather warms up from early to mid-June.
Here are a few tips for your summer decorations:
- Use vibrant colours like yellow, orange, and fuchsia for your throw pillows, area rugs, and other room décor and accents. Feel free to mix these hues together for a bold statement.
- Display summer elements that remind you of the season. Go for decorative pieces inspired by the sun, sand, and sea.
- A summer door wreath, garland, or vase of flowers are just what you need to create a cheery atmosphere. Update your greenery for the new season by incorporating floral picks such as sunflowers, fruits like lemons, or natural textures like burlap ribbons.
- For outdoor celebrations, repurpose your from winter—use them in your al fresco dining area to brighten up summer nights.
From Summer to Autumn
Wondering how and when to start decorating for autumn? While late August is ideal, you can also wait until leaves change colours come September or October.
Here are a few ideas on how to transition to autumn décor:
- When one thinks of autumn, colours like orange, brown, and red instantly come to mind. Bring the season into your home through décor in these warm, muted tones.
- Incorporate elements that celebrate bountiful harvests such as pumpkins, berries, apples, and turning leaves in your decorations. An autumn garland or flower arrangement will make a lovely centrepiece.
- As the weather cools, warm up your spaces with plush area rugs, throw pillows, and beddings.
- Use with hints of apple, vanilla, or cinnamon.
- On your front door, switch out your bright florals with an autumn wreath.
- Have fun using pumpkin décor of varied colours, sizes, and shapes when decking your front porch and other outdoor spaces.
From Autumn to Winter
Trying to figure out when to start decorating for Christmas? Late November is a good time to take down your autumn trimmings and ease into winter décor.
Check out these tips on how to decorate for Christmas:
- Choose a theme for your , such as traditional reds and greens, Winter Wonderland decorations, modern metallics, jewel tones, or any look that strikes your fancy. When sprucing up your Christmas tree and greenery, make sure to use elements that go with your chosen theme for a cohesive look.
- Winter decorations like foliage and wood will help create a warm ambience all throughout Christmas up until the end of the season.
- Lay out throw pillows and blankets in thicker fabrics of wool or fleece in your living room, bedroom, and lounge areas for texture and comfort.
- Candles offer a quick way to make a room feel cosy. Display in groups of different sizes for a charming effect at night.
- For an easy and effortless way to decorate for the season, try .
Year-Round Seasonal Decorating Tips To Try
Decorating for the change of seasons is quick and easy when you opt for classic and versatile pieces. Here are some tips for home décor that will look good all year round:
1. Opt for a Neutral Base
2. CONSIDER ACCENT COLOURS
If you decide to add other tones to your home, select up to two accent colours or use multiple shades of your preferred hue. Incorporate these into smaller pieces like baubles and fabrics for a streamlined look.
3. INCORPORATE NATURAL TEXTURES
Make a space feel cosy by using materials such as wood, wicker, and rattan. Fill wooden bowls with seasonal elements such as seashells in summer, turning leaves in autumn, and pinecones in winter. Wooden crates and wicker baskets are also ideal for organising pantry goods, fresh produce, books, toys, linens, and just about anything. Interchangeable pieces like these are practical additions to your home décor.
4. DECORATE WITH FOLIAGE
Greenery instantly brightens up any space. Opt for versatile, undecorated foliage like potted plants, topiary trees, and wreaths, which will look great all year round and can be decked for special occasions. Choose pre-lit greenery to add a charming glow to your display.
5. Use Light Fixtures
Lights are great for setting the mood and warming up the home. To create enchanted evenings, hang up light strings and line pathways or porch steps with lanterns. Set up a few candles, which make charming centrepieces when arranged in varying sizes, on tabletops and other surfaces. Choose scented candles or oils fit for the season to enhance the overall experience.